Shiroi Suna no Aquatope MAL review

Note: This is the review that started it all! It was partially deleted by MAL mods (apparently people reported it? Guess they had nothing better to do with their lives and didn't read my profile disclaimer about age differences). I was honestly infuriated when I got the notice of deletion. It's terribly ironic that as a non-American living in the U.S., known for 'freedom of speech', I've never been silenced so much in my life. 

This is probably the 6 - 8th time one of my posts was removed on Reddit, MAL or some other U.S. user-dominant website.

It was incredibly hurtful and hostile to know that my own voice was being erased. And, more than that, that the people behind silencing me were undoubtedly racist or xenophobic - those who have no desire or care to learn more about nations and cultures other than their own. Despite being silenced, I know what I said was true and still want my voice to be heard. 

I can only wait for the day I'm finally able to return back to East Asia. I truly hate it here.

- Onto the review! - 

Who this is for: Young graduates, young professionals, the seinen and shoujo crowd, anyone who loves female heroines and of course, those who grew up by the ocean/sea or just love aquatic life!

Who this is not for: Shounen fans, most boys and men, people who are expecting fan service, NEETS, and people who have a limited understanding of Japan/East Asian culture

This is very much a "girls anime written by women, for women," so it's 10/10 feel good for this demographic, but you will likely feel bored / frustrated if you are outside of it. Also, please keep in mind that many characters in this show could benefit from therapy... but that is heavily stigmatized (and almost non existent) throughout the Asia region, so watch the series with huge grains of salt.

--

Long version:

When I first saw the poster for this anime and MAL's low rating (at that time, around 6/10), I thought "probably another pretty anime without much depth." But I played the trailer anyway, and was pleasantly surprised.

Despite loving the trailer, the low rating still made me hesitant - how many other subpar animes have I watched thanks to MAL? I put it off month after month... and then last weekend, on my birthday. I decided to do something for myself instead of others (lol) and watch it.

I. was. in. awe.

Fuuka was extremely relatable for me. A young woman who moved alone to chase her career/passion/dreams of working in a glamorous but cutthroat industry... only to be denied a promotion after years of hard work. And that promotion to be given to someone young, inexperienced, and definitely not as qualified.

I cried along with Fuuka every episode, her emotions and thoughts were so real, and what I've done in the past too. You might not know where you're going, but sometimes you just know you "don't want to be here" "anywhere but here," and I think the anime did an excellent job of expressing those complicated layers, especially when confronted by family or society. I could've - and would've gladly watched an entire series dedicated to Fuuka as the main character.

Unfortunately, Fuuka is not the protagonist. And I think this is where it might have lost many fans.

The actual protagonist appears to be Misakino Kukuru. Kukuru's mission of saving her family's aquarium business is noble, and even quite relatable at some parts e.g. who wouldn't want to save their family home, school, or other place that might be lost to neighbourhood gentrification? Who wouldn't want to save the only memory they have of their parents, especially if they grew up an orphan? There are many things in life that have immeasurable emotional value, even if there is no physical price tag on them. I think a lot of Kukuru's struggles make sense. Even though her personality and behaviour was not something I could relate to (or condone), I could understand where she was coming from.

You keep watching because you want to know what happens to the aquarium too - are they gonna make it? What new or old thing are they trying now? The other supporting characters are stellar, strong and well written, and the pacing is fantastic. Unlike other series (*cough* JJK), it's very easy to follow who is who, because they introduce new characters with the right pacing. Social relationships are connected in a humorous and believable way. The cinematography and shot sequences are nothing short of flawless. Absolutely impeccable lighting, angles, and framing in every scene. Not to mention the (Okinawan?) music is really nostalgic and comforting.

Season 2 / Episode 13 onwards follows the Gama Gama gang on a new phase, and it's refreshing to see everyone 'grown up' and with more 'adult' struggles. However, the charm and magic of the previous season is different... I still enjoyed it very much, as we get to see Kukuru grow from an immature, spoiled, and selfish person into one who also learns to care about non-aquatic animals (lol) like humans. But I think the Season 1 was better, and much more scenic as we get to see 'local life' and houses, as opposed to shiny corporate offices.

The ending was a fantastic wrap up as well, no loose ends, and the way more animes should be.

Overall, 10/10 from me. I would've liked it better if:

- Fuuka had been the main character

- People stopped spoiling Kukuru

- The anime did a better job explaining WHY people care about Kukuru, what do they see in her as a person or as a friend... because that part was the most ambiguous and confusing for me. It's clear that she is surrounded by love, but no one can really explain why they care about her (beyond maybe, her 'hard life' as an 'orphan' despite being comfortably taken care of by her grandparents). In the early episodes, she's selfish and bratty enough that she doesn't care about anyone else and takes out her anger ON everyone else. It's really unhealthy (and problematic).

-

I had to boot a couple of animes off my favourites list for this, but I'll be back soon... rewatching it to my heart's content!

The review was partially deleted by mods on MAL: View here

Popular posts from this blog

Tondemo Skill de Isekai Hourou Meshi MAL Review

Blood+ MAL Review

Phantom in the Twilight Review